This page is designed to help you understand your rights and our privacy responsibilities under this agreement (“user agreement” or “agreement”) between Good Human Community, Inc. (“we”, “our,” “us”) and you. These documents tend to get wordy, complex, and, frankly, a bit dull – so we want to clarify a few things up front.
For starters, we don’t sell your data. That’s our pledge – it will never happen. Yes, we do collect and gather data (outlined below as well as in our Terms of Service read upon enrollment) but we commit to operating a moral and ethical company, which we simply can’t do if we violate your privacy or betray your trust. We weighed the pros, cons, benefits, and tradeoffs but our decision to be transparent outweighs everything, even if it hurts us competitively against other companies. You matter most to us.
With that said, your agreement sets the terms of your use of the GoodHuman mobile app and website and services (“GoodHuman”, “Service”).
Our Approach to Privacy
Scope and Application
The information collected is provided by you directly when you create/modify your account, add any photos, when you participate and interact throughout the app, or communicate with us. This information may include but is not limited to your name, email, phone number, postal address, profile picture, gender, date of birth, and other information you choose to provide.
Additional data collected includes:
- Location information: When using GoodHuman, location data is collected regarding your location from sources like your web IP address or your mobile phone’s location services. If you permit us to access location services through the permission system used by your mobile operating system, the precise location of your device when the app is running in the foreground or background could be acquired.
- Most importantly, this is not intended to track you. That would violate your privacy or sell your data to third parties, which we strongly emphasize we DO NOT do. This data ultimately provides you with a more helpful and relevant user experience.
- Contact information: By agreeing to engage with the GoodHuman app, your address book becomes accessible to facilitate social interactions through our platform and for other purposes described in this Policy or at the time of consent or collection.
- For clarity, cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a website. There are session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) that are both used and provide you with a more personal, interactive experience through and through. The applications and third-party analytics tools we rely on may collect information about your mobile or desktop device; for example: the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names and versions, preferred language, unique device identifier, advertising identifiers, serial number, device motion information, and other network information.
Again, your data is never monetized or shared, nor is your privacy ever violated. Nothing is done without your knowledge or consent – you can count on that.
But in order to create a cyber and meatspace community, this information is vital. In order to make recommendations, we need to try and infer what you like from your website and app interactions. It’s a delicate balance and we appreciate your trust that we’ll strike the right one to protect you, keep you safe, and minimize any potential risks or negative externalities.
Service and Permissions
Most web browsers and mobile devices (such as Google Android or Apple iOS) define certain types of data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. If you do not wish to share specific elements or areas of your data with us, please configure your device and/or browser settings accordingly, and/or do not opt into providing it to us, if we request it via a settings option or mobile push notification.
Information Collected from Third Party Sources
We may also receive information from other sources and combine that with information collected from GoodHuman. For example: if you choose to link, create, or log into GoodHuman with a credential service (i.e., Google), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app.
Use of Information
We may use the information we collect about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Service – for example, to provide products and services you request (and send related information), develop new features, provide customer support to Users, authenticate users, and send product updates and administrative messages
- Perform internal operations – for example, to prevent fraud and abuse of our Service; to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends
- Send or facilitate communication – send you communications we think will be of interest to you, including information about products, services, promotions, news, and events from GoodHuman and other companies or organizations, where permissible and according to local applicable laws
- Personalize and improve your experience – to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, referrals, and advertisements.
We may transfer some of the information described in this Policy to (as well as process and store it) in the United States and other countries, some of which may have less protective data protection laws than the region in which you reside. Where this is the case, we’ll take appropriate measures to protect your personal information in accordance with this Policy.
GoodHuman is 100% opposed to unsolicited commercial email (“spam”). We do not have any desire to send unsolicited marketing emails to anyone without permission. Nor we do sell or provide user email addresses to any unauthorized third party in violation of this Policy. All of our newsletters and other general email marketing communications also include an “unsubscribe” opt-out link that you may use to tell us to stop sending you marketing emails.
Sharing of Information
We may share the information we collect about you as described in this policy or as described at the time of collection or sharing, as follows:
- Between you and organizations to enable each to efficiently connect and collaborate through the Service. For example, we share your name, photo (if you provide one), and any other information you have submitted to the Services;
- With other Users; and with other people, as directed by you, such as when you want to share your GoodHuman experience with a friend or on a social network, or message another user using the Service; With third parties to provide you a service you requested through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party or us;
- With the general public if you submit content in a public forum, such as blog comments, social media posts, or other features of our Services that are viewable by the general public;
- With third parties with whom you choose to let us share information, for example other apps or websites that integrate with our API or Service, or those with an API or Service with which we integrate;
- With GoodHuman subsidiaries and affiliated entities that provide services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralization and/or logistics purposes (note: we will always do our best to transparently disclose these relationships to you, whenever and wherever possible);
- With vendors, consultants, marketing partners, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf; In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process;
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing; and In an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Links to Other Websites
The Service integrates with third party social networks to provide sharing features and other related tools which let you share actions you take on our Service with other apps, sites, or media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the social sharing service. Please refer to the privacy policies of those social sharing services for more information about how they handle the data you provide to or share through them.
What if GoodHuman is sold or shuts down?
Your information and information choices
GoodHuman will comply with individual’s requests regarding access, correction, and/or deletion of the personal data it stores in accordance with applicable law. We may request permission for our app’s collection of precise location from your device per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location settings on your mobile device. However, this will limit your ability to use certain features of our Services. Additionally, disabling our app’s collection of precise location from your device will not limit our ability to determine your approximate location from your IP address. We may also seek permission for our app’s collection and syncing of contact information from your device per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the contacts settings on your mobile device. You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages and/or by updating your account settings. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account, about Service you have requested, or our ongoing business relations.
As a reminder, we are not responsible for the practices employed by any websites or services linked to or from GoodHuman, including the information or content contained within them. Please remember that when you use a link to go from our Service to another website or service, our Policy does not apply to those third-party websites or services. Your browsing and interaction on any third-party website or service, including those that have a link on our Service, are subject to that third party’s own rules and policies. In addition, you agree that we are not responsible and do not have control over any third-parties that you authorize to access your user content. If you are using a third-party website or service and you allow them to access your user content, you do so at your own risk.
Children’s Privacy and Safety
GoodHuman does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Services. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supplemental Privacy Notice for California Residents
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding how we collect, use, and share your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)). We or our service providers may collect the below categories of information for the following business or commercial purposes (as those terms are defined in applicable law):
• Our Service or our service provider’s operational purposes;
• Auditing consumer interactions on our site (e.g., measuring ad impressions);
• Detecting, protecting against, and prosecuting security incidents and fraudulent or illegal activity;
• Bug detection and error reporting;
• Customizing content we or our service providers include in the Service;
• Providing the Services (e.g., account servicing and maintenance, order processing and fulfillment, customer service, analytics, and communication about the Service);
• Improving our existing Services and developing new services (e.g., by conducting research to develop new products or features);
Compliance with applicable, just laws and regulations. In this case we may combine the information we collect (“aggregate”) or remove pieces of information (“de-identify”) to limit or prevent identification of any particular user or device.
• Other uses about which we notify you.
If you are a California resident, you may have certain rights. California law may permit you to request that we:
• Provide you the categories of personal data we have collected or disclosed about you in the last twelve months; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal data; and the categories of third parties with whom we shared personal data.
• Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you.
• Delete certain information we have about you.
You also have the right to not be discriminated against (as provided for in applicable law) for exercising certain of your rights. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need certain types of information so that we can provide the Services to you. If you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use the Services.
Consistent with California privacy law we refuse to “sell” any of your personal data – just like we have since day one. We also do not and will not share personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time, at our sole discretion. Your continued use of the Service after such notice constitutes your consent to the changes. We encourage you to periodically review the Policy for the latest information on our privacy practices.
As we’ve said before, privacy in this day and age is a delicate balance. Information collection has become very powerful, and can often be helpful for delivering a more engaging, relevant, and customized experience or Service to you. But it can also be mis-used and abused, as we’ve seen many times from Facebook and other services. We think about these issues and ethics a lot, and will keep challenging ourselves to make the right decisions. You should also challenge us too.
Get in touch – we’re listening